Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shine by Lauren Myracle


Shine
by Lauren Myracle


Expected publication: May 1st 2011 by Amulet Books

Goodreads Blurb:

When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.

I love this cover!  As soon as I saw the cover, I wanted to read it. When I saw the author was Lauren Myracle, it sealed the deal!

And I wasn't disappointed. The storyline is leisurely until we get close to the end. Then it kicks into high gear. The leisurely pace fits in with the people and community of the story, though, so it worked for me. Nobody gets worked up about much of anything in Cat's town. Except Cat, of course.

This is unlike anything I've ever read by Lauren--a different taste of her writing skills. I liked it. I admired Cat for her courage and her tenacity and her love for her friend. I loved the way she faced and overcame her emotional scars. And I loved the climax.

If you are a fan of lauren Myracle, give this book a try. I'd love to hear what you think.

15 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

This sounds like a great novel for the classroom as well. And I love the cover too, reminds me of the Port-wine Magnolia we had in our last backyard, smelled so yummy! :)

Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the review. It sounds different than things I usually read, but good.

Bidisha said...

Sounds so atmospheric. I like the setting the summary talks about. I haven't read any of her works. This looks like a good one to start with.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Oh! This looks intriguing! Thanks for the rec!

Jennie Englund said...

My 12 year-old daughter LOVES Lauren Myracle. I didn't even know this was coming! It will be a must-have in our house, especially since you say this is unlike Myracle's other great stuff.

Thanks, Shannon! I hope you're doing well, writing lots. Spring at your high school -- a magical time!

Theresa Milstein said...

What a topical premise. I don't think I've read anything by Lauren Myracle. Now I'm going to look her up. Thanks!

Leslie S. Rose said...

Shannon, love your blog. Popped over from Susan's Inkspell blog. Can't wait to dive into your recommendations.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Shannon, love your blog. Popped over from Susan's Inkspell blog. Can't wait to dive into your recommendations.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon .. seems Lauren is an appreciated author .. and now she's trying something different - looks like a good bet for the kids and us!!

Cheers .. isn't it great Spring is here .. Hilary

Beth said...

Great review! It definitely sounds like it'll be worth reading.

storyqueen said...

I am entranced by the cover.

Shelley

Julie Musil said...

Wow, the blurb gave me chills. Thanks for the review, and I agree about the cover.

Diane said...

Delicate, pretty cover! I definitely have cover bias! :O)

Anita said...

I've never heard of the author! Hmmm...will do a bit more research. Thanks!

Becca Puglisi said...

I AM a fan of Lauren Myracle, so I'll check this out. Thanks for the tip, Shannon!

Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...