Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shannon M.'s Poetry Day Extravaganza

In honor of Shannon M.'s poetry day, I promised to post a poem.
This is a shortened version of one of my favorites.



The Skin We’re In
Shannon O’Donnell

The skin we're in, it limits us
It keeps us bound to earth and dust
We can’t step out of bones and skin
To reach beyond the space we’re in
We’re meant to place our hope and trust
In One who loves each one of us

In prayers is where God wants to hear
Of all the things we need down here
Don’t be afraid to turn His way
And pray to God with love today
For peace, for health, for family
For courage, friends, or to be free

Send loving thoughts and pleas for help
To those too far to reach yourself
The skin we’re in can’t stretch as far
As God’s embrace, His loving arms
He reaches out to those in need
When prayers request He intercede

God hears us when we pray in faith
For help to guide the human race
We need to pray more often, though
So Grace and Truth can help us grow
Bow your heads and fold your hands
And pray to God, who understands

The skin we’re in may limit us
And keep us bound to earth and dust
But prayer is more than bones and skin
And reaches past the space we’re in
In God we place our faith and trust
That He may bless each one of us

24 comments:

Shannon Messenger said...

Aw, thanks for participating Shannon--I LOVED this. (You definitely put my pathetic poetry skills to shame.) There are some beautiful metaphors in here, I can't pick a favorite. So I'm just going to say I loved the whole thing and I hope lots of people find this and read it. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

What a great opening line! Lovely.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I was in the mood for a good poem. This one put me in a good mood. Well done.

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

"Send loving thoughts and pleas for help
To those too far to reach yourself"

Those lines made me think of Haiti!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and touching poem!

Natalie said...

That was lovely Shannon. I thought of Haiti too.

Kimberly Franklin said...

What a beautiful poem, Shannon. I loved it!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Oh WOW! Really nice!!

Valerie Kemp said...

I love the opening line too, and the way you get your point across through it. Great poem!

Stacey J. Warner said...

I agree with the others...I also thought of Haiti.

Lovely poem...

much love

Tamika: said...

I love that the opening and closing were the same! Beautiful and poignant with truth.

BK Mattingly said...

That was so nice. I loved the ending, tying it all together. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

Beautiful, eloquent, and so very timely.

Robyn Campbell said...

I missed poetry day. Oh well, no matter, I SUCK big time at it. I fancy myself a poet, but truth be known, I ain't!

I love your poem though. Let's pray for the devastation in Haiti. God hears us. :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Lovely - easy to "hear" and beautiful :)

Jennie Englund said...

Your students are so lucky to have you. You're creative and intelligent, and you celebrate everything.

Hope your day was as poetic as your writing.

in which a girl reads said...

This poem is so beautiful. I'm glad you shared it :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks so much for the comments, everyone. I'm at a state conference, working on English curriculum standards, so I haven't had much time to blog today. I SOOOO appreciate your comments! :-)

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Shannon, as my father used to say, "She's a poet and don't know it." Excellent job, my Montana blogging pal. I'm very impressed, and touched. And now I see we have yet another mutual love. We really do need to meet at a conference someday! :)

Tabitha Bird said...

Very cool. I did not know there was a poetry day... ? I love poems. this one was lovely.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Lovely!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Thank you so much for sharing your hopeful poem. Lovely.

Jen said...

I'm a wee bit late, but I'm playing catch up today!!

I love this poem, Shannon. So wonderful. Like a prayer itself.

Jen

Charles Forgues said...

Poetry. We don't see enough of it.

Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...