Monday, October 14, 2019

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday - It's Raining Cupcakes


Marvelous Middle Grade Monday  


It's Raining Cupcakes
by Lisa Schroeder


Goodreads Blurb:

Twelve-year-old Isabel is dying to get out of Oregon. She spends her free time in the library, reading and dreaming about faraway places. When her mom decides to open a cupcake shop in their little town of Willow, Isabel feels just like buttercream frosting to a cupcake-stuck. It seems as if it will be another disappointing summer, until Isabel learns of a baking contest. 

If she can come up with a winning recipe, she might have a chance of competing in the bake-off in New York City! But Isabel's best friend, Sophie, is also entering the contest, and things always seem to go Sophie's way. To make matters worse, Isabel and her mom don't exactly see eye-to-eye on the type of recipe Isabel should enter. In this sweet treat by popular teen author Lisa Schroeder, Isabel discovers that maybe it's not about where you go in life as much as it is about enjoying the view from wherever you are.


I loved this book.  The relationship between Isabel and her parents is an interesting storyline, as is the idea of the bake-off contest. Her mother is a bit difficult to like, but she grows up some by the end, just like Isabel--and parents aren't perfect. Despite thinking I had it all figured out, the end surprised me and left me smiling.

The chapter titles are awesomely creative cupcake names--so fun. I have no doubt this book will leave even non-cupcake-lovers craving cupcakes by the end. It's a fast and easy read and it's totally charming. This is one of my main go-to books when I need an MG gift for girls. I've given it to three nieces and my daughter. So far.  :-)

Happy Monday!

27 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great review. I love the cover. Makes you want to dig into the book. Thanks for reviewing it.

Laura Pauling said...

I bought this at the Scholastic book fair. The cover is awesome!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I so have to get this! I'm currently preparing to write my two MG stories and have been looking for great books to inspire me. I knew of this book but for some reason didn't realize it was MG. Thanks!!

Stina said...

Strange. I have a weird craving for cupcakes. I wonder why. ;)

I've heard good things about this book.

*rushes off to have cupcakes for breakfast*

Old Kitty said...

Beautiful title and fab book cover!! Cupcakes!! It's a winner!! Yay! take care
x

Kristen Wixted said...

...and that cover is just delicious. Yum.

Anonymous said...

This is a must get. Thanks for the review, Shannon!

Barbara Watson said...

My daughter would love this one (and insist on eating cupcakes and licking her fingers as she did so). Thanks for the word on this one!

Heather said...

This sounds absolutely adorable, and not just because I live in Oregon! LOL! I'll have to check this one out.

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Tried to leave a comment this morning and blogger failed me. :(

Cupcakes seem to be the hot new thing in MG fiction for girls. There's even a new series called The Cupcake Diaries.

Haven't read this book yet, so thanks!

I love the idea of cupcake names as the chapter titles.

Unknown said...

It's on my TBR list! Looks like so much fun!

Theresa Milstein said...

It sounds like a sweet (pun intended) story.

Shari said...

Now I want to eat cupcakes. They look absolutely delicious. Oh, and the story does too. Thanks for sharing it!

Kelly Polark said...

My 8yo daughter loved this book! It's on my TBR list for this summer!

~The Book Pixie said...

I have and need to read this one. I've read all of Lisa's released YA books and after you're review, I'm even more confident I'll thoroughly enjoy her MG too. :D

~Briana

Laura S. said...

I've been wanting to read this for a while! I'll have to make sure I have cupcakes in the oven when I do. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your review of this book. Fun title, cute cover, sounds like a fun read. I like everything about it!
: )

Meredith said...

This looks so adorable! Any book about cupcakes is a book I must read. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

It's an awesome cover! I've had this one on my wishlist for a bit -- gotta pick it up!

Mary Aalgaard said...

I love that title so much. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that really happened? It would be a heaven-sent day.

Michael G-G said...

Sounds delicious!

Myrna Foster said...

I've been giving this one away for girl presents, and my copy is currently loaned out. I hoped it would win the Newbery, but no such luck. I thought it was perfect, especially the end. :o)

bfav said...

I've had this book on my to-buy list since March. My daughter loves the cover and wants me to get it for her. I'll have to do it this summer.

Tales of Whimsy said...

This sounds SO sweet and cute.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I want a cupcake now. Hrmm now the question is to buy or bake

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Great review! I've heard about this novel and definitely want to read it (while eating at least one cupcake).

sattakingplaybazaar said...

Many patients experience significant blood during surgery. play bazaar

play bazaar
play bazaar Bleeding is common, but if you are excessively bleeding it can be an issue. Bleeding can often occur in the post-op phase of surgery or even afterwards. You may need corrective surgery to repair where the excessive bleeding has turned into pools of blood under the skin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...