Monday, May 16, 2011

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday - Riff, Remember


Marvelous Middle Grade Monday  

Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born. 

Riff, Remember
by Lynn Hall



Goodreads Review (James):
A borzoi, whose original owner has died, finds a new home with a lonely boy who lives at a wilderness campground. Unlike those around him, the boy doesn't like to kill animals--only to "hunt" with his camera. When the boy is killed by a hunter in a covered-up accident, Riff does his best to bring the killer to justice. Very sad story that stuck with me throughout my childhood, and was just as touching when read much later as an adult.
Today's MMGM review is a sentimental one for me. The book is no longer in print, but you can still find it in libraries and if you're willing to hunt for it online. I've even found a couple of copies at thrift stores. 

I chose to include James's review because it was perfect--much better than the blurb.  I read this book in 7th grade, and it has remained with me ever since. For years after reading this story, I dreamed of having a Borzoi dog when I grew up. Not a practical dream. It is a beautiful and haunting story for those who love dog books, but it's a sad one. The wonderful thing about this story--the true power of it--is that it will never leave you. Once you've read it, it just kind of becomes a part of you. I keep this one inside my heart, always.

*** Others who can be counted on for a great MMGM review each week: ***

Happy Monday!

20 comments:

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss shannon! for sure i love dog stories. this one sounds way sad so im not sure if i could wanna read it. at least not right now.
...hugs from lenny

Unknown said...

Wow this sounds like an emotional tale. This one I'd have to hold off from until winter rolls around. During the summer I love my light and airy reads unless paranormal creeps in ;)

Diane said...

Great pick. I've never heard of this stroy. Have a super week! :O)

Jessie Oliveros said...

I love those books that stick with you from childhood! Sounds like a great read.

Kelly Polark said...

It is interesting to reread books that were loved as a child. This one does look like a sad, touching one!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

aw :( this sounds fabulous, but if it's sad and has to do with an animal, I can't read it. I still cry every single time I think about Where The Red Fern Grows.

Yep, tearing up even while I write this.

Sarah Ahiers said...

i've never heard of this book, which is a shame since it sounds right up my alley. I'll have to hunt it down

Candice said...

I can't believe how many middle grade books you have read or must read for this column!

Myrna Foster said...

I haven't read this one, but it sounds amazing. I love stories that stay with me. Thanks for the review.

Karen Lange said...

Sounds interesting, amigo. Glad you shared it with us. :)

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Wow, I have never heard of this book, Shannon. Sounds lovely, if sad. Books that become part of you are wonderful, aren't they?

Thanks for the link, as always.

Shari said...

I'm not sure I could read this one. Animal stories make me cry.

Robyn Campbell said...

Life kinda got in the way? Ahahahaha that's what happens when you and hubby take off during the work week. *wink*

This book sounds awesome, but I'm with Lenny. Right now I think I'll hold off, when I'm better I'll snatch it up. *jotting the name down*

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love that you picked a book from your childhood. I have one that I still have too that I love. Every once in awhile I pick it up again.

Sherrie Petersen said...

You keep finding books I've never heard of which is awesome! I love that there are so many great books to read :)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Those are some old books.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like I'd need to have a box of tissues ready when reading this one. Thanks for sharing about it.

Michael G-G said...

Gosh, talk about a tug on the heartstrings. It made me wonder if such a book would be pubbed today?

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention, Shannon!

bfav said...

I haven't read this one but it sounds fabulous like Where the Red Fern Grows. I'll have to hunt for it.

Anonymous said...

Wow this sounds powerful . I will for sure track it down. Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...