Friday, November 20, 2009

This was inspired by...



In Sharon Creech's Love That Dog (a favorite of nearly every writer I know), Jack discovers his writing voice by "borrowing" lines and ideas from famous authors like William Carlos Williams and Robert Frost - and we can't forget that Mr. Walter Dean Myers! :)


It is human nature to model ourselves after those we admire. Musicians, authors, artists... all credit their love of craft to someone who inspired or encouraged them - sometimes famous, sometimes not. Denzel Washington and Marlo Thomas both gathered stories of inspiration and influence into the best-selling books, A Hand to Guide Me and The Right Words at the Right Time. We buy books like these because they encourage and motivate us, give us hope and inspire us. We all love stories of success.

As I work toward publication as a picture book author, Patricia Polacco continues to influence and inspire me. Pink & Say is one of the most artfully told picture book stories I've ever read. I dream of writing with that degree of emotional pull and sincerity. Though short, her books pack the emotional punch of many short novels!

Who has had the greatest influence on you as an author? Why?

7 comments:

Valerie Geary said...

Margaret Atwood ... hands down ... if I could write like her ... oh man ... she knows how to manipulate words and she just does it so so beautifully! Also, I would take a portion of Ian McEwan's writer brain if I could too. He writes about the human psyche too well; it's just freaky!

Stephanie Thornton said...

Hmmm... That's a hard one! I love Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha for sure. Some of Stephen King's tips in his book On Writing also helped me out, but I wouldn't call that inspiring.

I've read Margaret Atwood too- great author!

Patti said...

I loved CS Lewis and Norma Johnston, both series of books encouraged me to write.

Kelly Polark said...

Shel Silverstein. As a child, I read and reread Where the Sidewalk Ends hundreds of times. I memorized many of his poems, and I am sure he is the reason why I love reading and writing poetry so much! Now my children love Silverstein's work!

cleemckenzie said...

E.B. White has my vote as the greatest influence on me. I not only love his children stories, but I also read and relish his essays. He was a gentle man with an immense heart and a talent I can only admire and never even attempt to emulate.

Great question.

lisa and laura said...

This is such a tough question! We've always loved Stephen King and Marissa de Los Santos, but they're both so good, we're not even sure we can aspire to their levels of greatness!

Hardygirl said...

Ooo. Tough question.

Madeline L'Engle. Kevin Henkes.

I also love John Irving, Pat Conroy, and EM Forster.

But, my faves change daily!!


sf

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...